Monday, April 4, 2011

Big Girl Swim Lessons

Today was a big day, K's 1st Swim Lessons since she was 9 Months old. K isn't scared of the water, but she isn't the one to jump off the deep end. I simply was thinking she would observe. Not to mention, hoping the teacher and the kids were good...they make a HUGE difference. But I've reach the point in motherhood where I have no expectations. I don't expect her to go and swim across the pool and I wouldn't be surprise if she didn't get in the water. As much as you know your child, you never know. However the things I do expect are simple: listen to the teacher and don't have an accident in the pool. Again, you never know.


The set-up at the pool was similar to gymnastics, a window to separate the kiddos from the parents. The nice teacher introduced herself, and K walked right in with her pink goggles and pink kickboard with the other 3 kids. At first, she hesitated to put her feet in the water once a boy said the water was ice, but the class laughed and said it was hot. Next thing I knew, feet in the water and it was her turn to kick across the pool. She didn't hesitate once and acted like she was doing it for years. She kicked, floated on her back, blew bubbles, learned arm movement, and jumped off the side of the pool. Totally impressed and the teacher couldn't have been more pleased for her first class.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I've been swimming since 2, started on the swim team at 5, a swim coach at 15, and lifeguard until I was 19. Swimming was a big part of my Texas summers and also where I met my BFF of 20 years. Watching K swim was a BIG Mommy Moment! I was so proud that she listened to the teacher, didn't have an accident in the pool, AND was a natural swimmer. 7 classes to go for the month and already succeeded in my book.

0 comments: